[torqueusers] Get Torque to send Email messages again

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Sat Nov 11 07:17:04 MST 2006

On Fri, Nov 10, 2006 at 01:13:49PM +0000, Anna Jonna Armannsdottir alleged:
> Hi I just joined this list as i am administrating
> an IBM Blade cluster with a Torque PBS.
>
> I have a problem with finding out why my users
> are not getting the messages that the batch system
> seems to be sending. Now according to the logs
> the system sends messages to the correct email addresses
> formed as username at FQDN .
> Apparently it never reaches sendmail on the system.
> Now sendmail and mail have been confirmed to work correctly.
> The remote possibility that Torque is using tcp to connect
> to the mail system, just struck my mind, and then the firewall
> rules might interfere. The firewall rules are designed not
> to interfere.
>
> So if anybody has any idea of how the email messages are
> transferred from Torque to the local mail system, please
> share, cause it might help to solve this problem.

TORQUE directly executes the sedmail path that was found by ./configure.
If configure couldn't find a sendmail binary, a warning message is
printed about needing to find sendmail in $PATH at run time.

$ strings /usr/sbin/pbs_server | grep sendmail
/usr/lib/sendmail