[torqueusers] pbs_server and nodes file how to handle comments

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Thu Mar 23 09:37:08 MST 2006

On Thu, Mar 23, 2006 at 10:50:03AM +0000, David Golden alleged:
> On 2006-03-23 09:45:39 +0100, Bas van der Vlies wrote:
> >
> > version: 2.0.0p8
> >
> > We use comments in our nodes file, which version it is and so on. These
> > comments are removes if we set an node manually offline with qmgr. The
> > nodes files is rewritten without the comments. Is this a bug?
> >

> I dunno, but my 2 cents:
>
> treatment of "nodes" is or was a bit nonuniform in PBS/Torque, adding or
> removing a node via qmgr didn't work as one might expect (it might
> work now, haven't tried with a recent torque). If node manipulations
> including adding/removal of nodes from qmgr do work right, though, I'd be
> inclined to treat the "nodes" file as a pretty much opaque part of the
> server state rather than intended  to be directly human-editable.

Removing nodes should work fine.  Adding and removing node properties
works fine.

Adding nodes almost works.  It would require that the server pings all
of the nodes again to send out a new addr list.  Since it would be
impractical to immediately start repinging nodes on every node create
operation, I was thinking about a server attribute, "ping_nodes", that
you would set to True to initiate a full round of node pings.
Additionally, newly created nodes would start in the offline state.

So you would 1) create as many nodes as you want, 2) 's s ping_nodes=T',
3) wait for ping_nodes to become false again, 4) clear the offline state
on new nodes.

University of Southern California