[torqueusers] pbs_iff and qsub wrapper problems

Doug Renfrew renfrew at email.unc.edu
Tue Mar 21 14:02:59 MST 2006

I am attempting to setup a small cluster (~20) of machines for my lab.
I am having a couple of problems. Right now I have a machine setup as
the server and a machine setup as a compute node. I am able to submit
jobs from the machine running pbs_server; they run on the compute node
and everything seems to work fine.

Problem 1:
I want to be able to submit jobs from the compute nodes. I added

to my /usr/spool/PBS/torque.cfg file and restarted pbs_server. However
when I try to submit a job from one of the compute nodes I get the
following error.

pbs_iff: file not setuid root, likely misconfigured
No Permission.
qsub: cannot connect to server [correct server name] (errno=15007)

not quite sure what is going on. I assume that the problem could be a
number of things. The firewall on both machines is turned off so I
don't think that it is it. The server name displayed is the correct
one so I don't believe that is the problem.

Do I need to restart the pbs_mom on the compute node after I restarted
the pbs_server on the server? Did I misconfigure something (I did a
make packages after make install and then unpacked the client and mom
packages on the compute node)?

Problem 2:
My university has a cluster of machines setup using the LSF system.
Most of my lab is familiar with the setup and I wanted to try to
replicate it as much as possible. The way it is configured (I am not
sure if it the default behavior) allows you to run a job with out a
job script. For example if I wanted to run the following command line

#a.out -x abc -y efg

I would just type

#bsub -q batch a.out -x abc -y efg

Is there a way to replicate this behavior with Torque? I suspect that
this is possible using the "qsub wrapper" scripts but I am not sure
what it would look like?

I am using torque 2.0.0p8 with the pbs_sched scheduler. As is probably
evident I am a torque newbie, thanks in advance.

P. Douglas Renfrew
Graduate Student
Molecular and Cellular Biophysics Program
Dept. Biochemistry and Biophysics
Unv. of North Carolina at Chapel Hill