[torqueusers] (no subject)

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Mar 14 16:13:47 MST 2006

On Tue, Mar 14, 2006 at 05:19:29PM -0500, Efstathiadis, Efstratios alleged:
> Hi,
>

> being new with MAUI, I can't tell if this is trivial or not:
> I have defined in torque three queues (short, medium, long)
> each with a resources_max.walltime of 1hr, 6hr and 12hr respectivelly,
> and a maximum running jobs of 1 for all three queues.
> I also have a default queue called batch.Submitted jobs get assigned to the
> appropriate queue based on the walltime specified in the qsub command.
> This works well with both pbs_sched and MAUI.

FYI, routing queues have nothing to do with the scheduler, so if your
routing works, it will work with any scheduler.

> Now, if I submit many short jobs, one will be running (as expected) and all the
> others will be queued, waiting for their turn to run.
> In the mean time, the medium and the long queues may be completely idle,
> with no jobs running or queued. How can the scheduler "move" queued
> jobs from the short queue to the empty medium or long queues??
> After all, a short job can also fit into the medium or long queues.

It is doing exactly what you designed: 3 seperate queues with a max of 1
running job per queue.

The scheduler won't move jobs into other queues.  Its job is to
schedule jobs within the constraints and policies that have been
established.

I don't know what your usage requirements are, but it sounds like queues
are the wrong tool for the job.  You might want to look at setting
policy in your maui config.  Or give CRI a call and get some consulting
(they will sell you moab, and it will probably do everything you want.)

> And another (different) question: How can I assign specific host CPUs to queues?
> I know how to assign hosts to queues (with acl_hosts=.., keeping
> acl_host_enable false). The reason is that I have a large IBM
> SP machine with many CPUS and I would like to partition it.

TORQUE doesn't support this.  My only suggestion is to partition the
host OS; then you'd have 2 IPs, 2 pbs_moms, and 2 nodes in your server
config.

And of course, consider not partitioning it.  Fragmenting your cluster
into small pieces kills overall usage by reducing scheduling
opportunities.

University of Southern California