[torqueusers] Java job getting killed in MOM as soon as it gets started

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at uni.de
Fri Mar 3 04:01:51 MST 2006

Hi,

I have to take some guesses as I am not actively working with java or
x86_64s myself.

> 1) When the VM is started with no default -Xms and -Xmx values, jobs get
> killed when they get to about 84 MB of RES memory limit (this is very
> repeatable as I have checked this several times), but the manpage on
> java says that the default value is 64 MB.

You forgot about the mem the VM needs for itself.
20MB seems like the numbers I usually see for an "idle" java VM.

> 3) When I set -Xms200m and -Xmx3500m or -Xmx4000m, job gets killed in
> less than 10 seconds of getting started.

It depends on which kind of mode you run your apps on the x86_64s.

If in standard 32bit/compat mode then you wont be able to have more than
~2.5GB of memory to use PER programm image (32bit = 4GB total; top or lowest
1GB = direct kernel mapping; just above 2.5GB or so the shared library
mapping begins).

Also java's model per se is 32bit IIRC.

So I suggest making sure you use the native x86_64 64bit java VM and also
have a look at this java VM option:

-d64          use a 64-bit data model if available

Hope this was of some help.
Cheers,

Ronny