[torqueusers] Job Depedency using Torque + Maui

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Tue Jun 27 08:42:48 MDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 09:27 -0500, Adnan Dhanani wrote:
> I was wondering if you are able to specify job dependency when
> submitting a job.  I'm looking for a way to specify during a job
> submission a job id or name on which my job will wait for until that
> job is completed before beginning.  I came across the job hold feature
> that lets you put holds on the job but nothing on specifying a
> different job.  Any help would be great.

On a system with TORQUE installed, do a "man qsub" and look at the -W
option, specifically the depend=... section.  We have users using that
somewhat regularly on our systems.

(As an aside, we've found that job dependencies will only work if
pbs_server is running on the default port.  If it's running on an
alternate port [eg. $PBS_HOME/server_name contains something like
"host:17001"], the server will get confused because it thinks the :port
bit on the end of the fully qualified jobid is another job...)

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701