[torqueusers] some 2.1.1 configure notes

Pete Wyckoff pw at osc.edu
Mon Jun 26 08:14:05 MDT 2006

garrick at clusterresources.com wrote on Sun, 25 Jun 2006 11:13 -0600:
> On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:47:42PM -0400, Pete Wyckoff alleged:
> > I have an existing server_home with fine files in it that I'd rather
> > not touch.  Running as non-root, "make install" tries to change all
> > the perms of things in server_home, by calling $(PBS_MKDIRS) a few
> > times in src/server and src/resmom.  I hacked it out of the
> > Makefiles for now.  Is there a separate install target that avoids
> > the spool bits?
>
> No, but something like 'make PBS_MKDIRS=/bin/true install' might work.
>
> Or lie to it, 'make PBS_SERVER_HOME=/tmp/foome install'.

Great suggestion.  The PBS_MKDIRS override worked just fine.  I'll
continue to use that in my builds.

> > Thanks for not explicitly trying to chown root.root in the pbs_iff
> > install, btw.  I can do that manually in my install procedure.
>
> Those chown calls made packaging rather difficult.
>
> Should we make those chmod calls non-fatal and just complain loudly?

They're non-fatal now, hence my happiness.  :)  But it's such a
common newbie mistake to get the perms wrong on pbs_iff, that maybe
you want the install process to complain loudly.  You could test
near the end if the install ended up producing a file owned by root
with the right perms, and echo lots of asterisks if that did not
happen.

		-- Pete