[torqueusers] some 2.1.1 configure notes

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Sun Jun 25 11:13:36 MDT 2006

On Sun, Jun 25, 2006 at 12:47:42PM -0400, Pete Wyckoff alleged:
> Nice new configure system.  But I have a couple of issues for which
> perhaps you can suggest workarounds.
>
> I don't want to do "make install" as root.
>
> I have an existing server_home with fine files in it that I'd rather
> not touch.  Running as non-root, "make install" tries to change all
> the perms of things in server_home, by calling $(PBS_MKDIRS) a few
> times in src/server and src/resmom.  I hacked it out of the
> Makefiles for now.  Is there a separate install target that avoids
> the spool bits?

No, but something like 'make PBS_MKDIRS=/bin/true install' might work.

Or lie to it, 'make PBS_SERVER_HOME=/tmp/foome install'.

> I configured --without-sched.  doc/Makefile* tries to soft link
> pbs_sched.8 -> pbs_sched_none.8.  There is no pbs_sched_none.8 so
> the "test -f" fails and the link doesn't happen.  Good, but because
> "test -f" failed, the make dies with error.  Maybe add "|| true"
> to the end of such lines.

Thanks.  I'll have it ignore the "none" scheduler.

> Thanks for not explicitly trying to chown root.root in the pbs_iff
> install, btw.  I can do that manually in my install procedure.

Those chown calls made packaging rather difficult.

Should we make those chmod calls non-fatal and just complain loudly?