[torqueusers] Torque with or without RPP

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Fri Jun 23 13:05:43 MDT 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 12:29:03PM -0700, Austin Godber alleged:
> I am finally getting a chance to update my torque install.  And recall
> being advised in the past to disable RPP.  Is this actually recommended?

Not in my opinion.  The --disable-rpp option only effects Resource
Monitor requests (as when using momctl).  Back in the OpenPBS days this
was more important because schedulers like maui had to issue RM requests
to every node.  These days pbs_server is already providing that
information directly to schedulers.

Without RPP, momctl must allocate a new socket and bind to a priviledged
port to talk to a MOM.  When you talk to many MOMs quickly, you can
easily run out of priviledged ports to TIME_WAIT.

With RPP, momctl works with one socket on one priviledged port.

If you have a 1000 nodes, things like this will fail if RPP is
disabled:
   seq -f "node%04g" 1 1000 | xargs -n 1 momctl -d 0 -h