[torqueusers] Torque 2.1.x pbs_server process hogging cpu

garrick at speculation.org garrick at speculation.org
Thu Jun 15 02:38:52 MDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 10:10:06AM +0200, Martin Schafföner alleged:
> On Wednesday 14 June 2006 23:24, garrick at speculation.org wrote:
> >
> > Can you try the latest snap?  I changed it to a hybrid approach, it
> > tries bindresvport() once and falls back to looping around bind() with a
> > decrementing tryport.
>
> Yes, I just installed it and this one is working well. Still I wouldn't say it
> works as expected because this bind()-loop hack should, in theory, not be
> necessary, right?

I'm definitely not a fan of the bind()-loop.  I wrote the bindresvport()
when I observed RHEL3 on x86_64 take several seconds to run through the
loop.
http://supercluster.org/pipermail/torqueusers/2005-October/002235.html

> If there is anything else that I may do to track down the "real" problem and
> solution, let me know!

IMHO, bindresvport() doesn't like the link-local line; which sounds to
me like it could be a linux kernel bug.  Of course, this isn't really
my area of expertise and I could be completely wrong.

The original bindresvport() code in TORQUE otherwise seems fine.  This
is the first I've heard of it not working, so I'm willing to think this
is a weird corner case with your configuration.

If you have support with Novell, you may want to put together a small
test case (socket(), bindresvport(), connect()) and take it up with
them.

Or we just live with the new code, be happy it works, and not worry
about it :)