[torqueusers] Node np parameter adjusted automatically since 2.1.x ?

Martin Schafföner martin.schaffoener at e-technik.uni-magdeburg.de
Thu Jun 15 02:23:27 MDT 2006

Hi all,

we have a bunch of dual xeon nodes which have hyperthreading enabled (it
actually gives some performance improvement especially when memory-bandwidth
limited apps run). So there are virtually 4 processors in each node, but we
used to limit the number of processes by setting the np=2 parameter in the
server_priv/nodes file.

After upgrading to 2.1.x (actually 2.1.1snap), I saw 4 processes being
scheduled on these nodes. Upon investigating, I found that the
server_priv/nodes file have automatically been adjusted to np=4 for the
respective nodes. That was not what I wanted. Is there any way to prevent
this behavior and fix this parameter to what the admin says rather than what
the moms say?

I know, mom is always right...

Regards,
--
Martin Schafföner

Cognitive Systems Group, Institute of Electronics, Signal Processing and
Communication Technologies, Department of Electrical Engineering,
Otto-von-Guericke University Magdeburg
Phone: +49 391 6720063