[torqueusers] Rotating Log Compile Option

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Fri Jun 2 08:59:05 MDT 2006

On Fri, 2006-06-02 at 08:40 -0600, Jerry Smith wrote:
> On 6/2/06 7:35 AM, "Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com"
> <Stewart.Samuels at sanofi-aventis.com> wrote:
>         Would it be possible to include compile-time options that
>         would tell Torque to prune log files after a specified number
>         have already been created?  The idea would be to create a
>         similar situation as the Linux /var/log/messages scenario in
>         which for example, only 5 log files are kept.  Currently,
>         Torque creates an infinite (limited by disk space) number of
>         log files for mom, server, and accounting files.  It would be
>         nice to have sites specify how many of each of the files they
>         would like to keep.
>
>  I would like to chime in on this, if this is implemented please make
> an option (perhaps the default), to keep all logs.  Job/server history
> is valuable in debugging, not to mention metric generation for use of
> the system.

I would also prefer that the current log behavior remain the default,
for the same reasons Jerry mentions.  If a site wants to expire the
TORQUE logs after some number of days, IMHO they should use something
like logrotate (which is how the log files in /var/log are manipulated
on most Linux distros I've used).

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701