[torqueusers] -l file not working properly? (Torque 2.0.0p5, Maui 3.2.6p14)

garrick at speculation.org garrick at speculation.org
Thu Jun 1 16:51:53 MDT 2006

On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 03:24:12PM -0500, Mike Renfro alleged:
> I have a very disk-intensive user that bought a 300GB drive to put in
> one of our nodes. In an attempt to steer his jobs to the system I
> installed the drive into, I'm testing out jobs with the "-l file"
> directive. It's not working when I request several GB of disk space, an
> far less than the available space reported by checknode. Further testing
> shows that the breaking point from jobs running and aborting is between
> 3gb and 4gb. Any ideas?

Looks like this is limited to ULONG_MAX which is about 4 billion on 32bit
arch (works fine on x86_64).

I don't see a clear fix here because converting a large chunk of
that code to using unsigned long long doesn't look quite portable
(ULLONG_MAX requires c99 mode).

I wonder if the best thing to do is to ignore the error and let the job
run.  The "file" resource is being overloaded.  You are using it as a
resource request to the scheduler, and pbs_mom is using it to set a max
ulimit file size.  It is the later that is failing and you don't care
about that for your purposes.