[torqueusers] acl_hosts oddity

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com
Tue Jan 31 13:17:43 MST 2006

First of all, thank you for your previous assistance on figuring out
$tmpdir.  For anyone else who struggles with that, the three pieces we
needed were 1) running configure with "--enable-wordexp" and 2) setting
$tmpdir /localscratch in the mom_priv/config file and 3) setting the
TMPDIR environment variable to $PBS_JOBID in the job request.  Now, torque
happily creates a directory for each job that wants it and keeps all the
jobs seperate.  The job script just cd's to the $TMPDIR directory. Thanks,
it works quite nicely now!

I have noticed something of an oddity (I think), using torque2.0.0p5 and
am curious if what I'm seeing is the expected behavior.  When I enable
acl_hosts, (qmgr "s s acl_hosts_enable=true"), this breaks torque in kind
of a bizarre way.  It looks like this prevents mom's from returning
completed job information.  I have to add compute nodes to the acl_hosts
list (qmgr -c "s s acl_hosts += node1") in order to get the job to return.
 I suppose this means that returning the job info requires server services
that are blocked by enabling acl_hosts?

Eventually, after several minutes, the job get's reported as exceeding the
wallclock time.  I get a weird "MOAB_INFO: job exceeded wallclock limit"
error and the job gets deleted.  I think this is just the scheduler
stepping in at some statjob polling interval and killing the job?

On a lark, I checked and specifying "ALLOWCOMPUTEHOSTSUBMIT true" in a
torque.cfg file didn't appear to have any effect on this, which it seems
like it should.  At this point it appears that setting that parameter
allows a compute node to do any operation except return a job result?

If the above is the expected behavior, what kind of wildcard matching is
allowed in the acl_hosts list?

Best,
Nate