[torqueusers] Previous LSF user considering Torque

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Jan 30 11:44:26 MST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 11:47:12AM -0800, Leo Butler alleged:
> Greetings,
>
> I've joined a small company that needs to implement some form of job
> control system. I was a LSF user at my previous company, but that's out
> of the question to use here due to the cost. I've done some searching
> and found both Torque and Grid Engine, and both seem like they'd do
> the job so it's time to make a choice and that brings me to ask of you
> on the list what your thoughts are.
>
> Our needs are fairly simple; we'll have up to perhaps 100 x86_64
> systems running Linux over the next couple of years, running chip
> simulations, logic synthesis and the like. The software will be licensed
> using FlexLM, so an ability to throttle job starts based upon license
> availability is a must. It's not necessary to have the job control system
> do complex resource management; the users can submit to a specific
> queue for the type of resource they need. No need to suspend or
> move jobs to another system. The ability to enable user's systems for
> inclusion in the machine pool at night in a straightforward manner is
> desired as well.
>
> Would you say that Torque is suitable for this use model? Is there any
> need to make use of sheduling packages such as Moab or Maui on
> top of Torque?

I think you'll need Moab to handle the flexlm integration, and at least
Maui or Moab to handle the time-based machine pool.  But otherwise,
TORQUE will do what you want.

The scheduler included with TORQUE is really simple and basicly just to
get started.  Real scheduling is done with Maui or Moab.

> Is installation and configuration fairly straightforward?

It is definitely a complex system, but that is true for any resource
management.  I'd say the initial install and config is straight forward,
but plan for regular config adjustments over time.  Requirements seem to
always change and TORQUE+Moab/Maui is a very flexible system.

> If anyone has used Grid Engine and can comment on it compared to
> Torque, that would be greatly appreciated. The comparisons I've found
> thus far are based upon older releases of the software so I don't want
> to depend solely upon them to make a choice of which to evaluate
> first.
>
> I'm reading what I can find and trying to come up to speed on the ins
> and outs of these projects, but I haven't yet reached that point of knowing
> what I don't know. Thanks in advance for your time.

Don't forget that TORQUE is open source and SGE is closed.  TORQUE
development is very rapid and we are always accepting patches for the
larger community.  If TORQUE doesn't do what you want today, it
certainly can tomorrow.

Maui is also open but doesn't move as fast as TORQUE.  While Moab is
closed, it is very flexible and CRI is very responsive to user feature
requests.

University of Southern California