[torqueusers] Previous LSF user considering Torque

Leo Butler leobutler at gmail.com
Fri Jan 27 12:47:12 MST 2006

Greetings,

I've joined a small company that needs to implement some form of job
control system. I was a LSF user at my previous company, but that's out
of the question to use here due to the cost. I've done some searching
and found both Torque and Grid Engine, and both seem like they'd do
the job so it's time to make a choice and that brings me to ask of you
on the list what your thoughts are.

Our needs are fairly simple; we'll have up to perhaps 100 x86_64
systems running Linux over the next couple of years, running chip
simulations, logic synthesis and the like. The software will be licensed
using FlexLM, so an ability to throttle job starts based upon license
availability is a must. It's not necessary to have the job control system
do complex resource management; the users can submit to a specific
queue for the type of resource they need. No need to suspend or
move jobs to another system. The ability to enable user's systems for
inclusion in the machine pool at night in a straightforward manner is
desired as well.

Would you say that Torque is suitable for this use model? Is there any
need to make use of sheduling packages such as Moab or Maui on
top of Torque?

Is installation and configuration fairly straightforward?

If anyone has used Grid Engine and can comment on it compared to
Torque, that would be greatly appreciated. The comparisons I've found
thus far are based upon older releases of the software so I don't want
to depend solely upon them to make a choice of which to evaluate
first.

I'm reading what I can find and trying to come up to speed on the ins
and outs of these projects, but I haven't yet reached that point of knowing
what I don't know. Thanks in advance for your time.

- Leo