[torqueusers] Node To Queue Assignment

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Jan 23 20:52:42 MST 2006

Please don't reply to an old email to start a new thread.  It messes up
those of us with threaded email clients.

On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 08:35:52AM -0800, Aaron Greenwood alleged:
> I have a question about  node to queue assignment.  After creating 4
> separate queues I was unable to find a definitive way to assign nodes
> exclusively to a particular queue. This is what I have done and would
> appreciate your comments and corrections.
> I created four queues called highmem, lowmem, p1 and p2.  I then
> assigned each node one and only one of the following properties,
> highmem, lowmem, p1 or p2. These properties correspond with the name of
> a queue.  Using node properties was the only way I could  see to
> exclusively assign a particular node to a particular queue.
> Here is an example qsub command
> qsub -N "Test Job" \
>     -e $HOME/testjob.stderr.lpwmem \
>     -o $HOME/testjob.stdout.lowmem \
>     -q lowmem \
>     -l nodes=1:lowmem \
>      $HOME/testjob.sh
> Is what I am doing correct of am I off base?

This depends on which scheduler you are using.

If maui, you can set that node property as a default neednodes resource
on the queue and maui will tie those nodes to that queue.

  set queue lowmem resources_default.neednodes = lowmem

Then jobs with "-q queue" will run on nodes with the lowmem property.

Another method using maui is to use standing reservations.

But looking at your example, I don't recommend breaking up your nodes
into queues based on memory.  Just have uses request the amount memory
they need and the scheduler will route jobs to the correct nodes.

University of Southern California