[torqueusers] Compiling xpbsmon

Bisbal, Prentice PBisbal at LexPharma.com
Mon Jan 23 08:00:40 MST 2006

Garrick,

Updating the configure.ac file may not fix this problem completely on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 systems. In the /usr/lib and /usr/lib64 directories, the symlinks libtkx.so that should point to libtkx<version>.so are missing:

$ locate libtkx
/usr/lib/libtkx8.3.a
/usr/lib/libtkx8.3.so
/usr/lib64/libtkx8.3.a
/usr/lib64/libtkx8.3.so

This is easy enough to fix as root:

cd /usr/lib64
ln -s libtkx8.3.so libtkx.so
cd /usr/lib/
ln -s libtkx8.3.so libtkx.so

But not every user may know to do this.  I've seen this same exact problem with several other libraries on RHEL, even on 32-bit systems.

This is NOT a problem with the libX11 libraries, so your configure.ac script should definitely be able to eliminate the need for --x-libraries=/usr/X11R6/lib64

Prentice Bisbal
Unix Administrator
Lexicon Pharmaceuticals
350 Carter Road