[torqueusers] Attn: Accelrys Materials Studio users

Bisbal, Prentice PBisbal at LexPharma.com
Fri Jan 20 08:26:14 MST 2006

I think some TORQUE developers should contact Accelrys and inform them
that TORQUE is a stable and actively supported descendent of OpenPBS and
is willing to work with them to resolve any alleged stability issues
that Accelrys may find.

We don't use MS at my site, but we do use plenty of other Accelrys
applications. I will be forwarding the e-mail below to my sales rep with
my thoughts.

-----Original Message-----
From: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org
[mailto:torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org] On Behalf Of Steven A.
Sent: Thursday, January 19, 2006 8:08 PM
To: torqueusers at supercluster.org
Subject: [torqueusers] Attn: Accelrys Materials Studio users

Packaged with the new media for Materials Studio 4.0 is a letter from
Accelrys product marketing manager that details their plans for
platforms for MS-4.0 (includes hardware, OS, and queuing systems).

They have discontinued support of "OpenPBS" queuing systems and now
only support PBS-Pro from Altair and LSF from Platform. They stated in
letter that support for OpenPBS was discontinued  'due to issues of
and because of issues with Materials Studio reporting a job as dead
it was still running on a Linux cluster.

They are also only offering 32bit i386 binaries and IA64 Itanium
for Linux. Thus folks with AMD Opteron and Intel EM64T systems are
expected to run the 32bit i386 binaries. I have specifically made a
for 64bit binaries for the AMD Opteron and Intel EM64T platforms but was
told they do not plan on offering this option at this time. They did
submit that as a user request.

The long and the short of this is if you are a customer of Accelrys
Materials Studio in your HPC environment, you may want to provide
with feedback on the above policies.
Steven A. DuChene
torqueusers mailing list
torqueusers at supercluster.org