[torqueusers] inter-torque/pbs-server protocol compatibility

David Golden dgolden at cp.dias.ie
Mon Jan 16 11:02:31 MST 2006

On 2006-01-16 10:16:12 -0700, Dave Jackson wrote:
> David,
>
>   Going forward, we are attempting to maintain the following:
>
> full compatibility of server<->server and server<->scheduler releases
> within releases (ie all 2.1.x releases will inter-operate).
>
> full compatibility of server<->mom components within a release (ie, all
> patch levels of 2.1.1 will inter-operate)

Cool, good to know.

>   Clearly we will attempt to maintain backwards compatibility where-ever
> possible and where incompatibilites are introduced, they will called out
> in the CHANGELOG and in announcements.  If additional steps on our side
> are desired, please let us know.

Well, speculatively (and being too lazy to look at the source at this
moment to see if it already does it), is the  protocol itself versioned,
so that in the event of incompatible releases, an informative error along
the lines of "protocol version mismatch, min. 2.2 proto required, found
(no version - old protocol|version2.1)" could appear in logs?