[torqueusers] $TMPDIR

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com
Fri Jan 6 09:45:58 MST 2006

I have a number of batch processes that I'm running with torque that all
run the same exact process on different pieces of a large data file.  The
process creates a number of intermediate files and in the end produces a
file to be staged-out.  My problem is that as soon as more than one job is
executing on a node, these files have the chance to stomp all over each
other (ie Job 1 and job 2 are running on a node, Job 1 completes and
out.txt is staged out and then deleted (which confuses job 2) because they
all run in the same directory (the user's home directory).

What I would like to do is to convince torque to run the job in a clean
directory (for instance, ~/00001.somehose.com), so that I can keep the
jobs seperate without having to jump through file-renaming hoops or making
the job start creating directories, etc.  Torque essentially does this for
the standard out and standard error files (by naming them by job id), but
I can't seem to figure out how to get the desired behavior.  Looking
through the archives, I found a reference to something similar to this
related to a patch that caused mom to create a temporary directory.
However, this was a patch for torque 1.0.1 or so, and it doesn't appear to
have been incorporated at any point.

I've also noticed the rootdir and initdir parameters that I can set, but I
don't think those create a directory if one doesn't already exist.

Is there a facility for doing what I describe here, or am I going to have
do all of the work in the job script?

Best,
Nate