[torqueusers] Interpreting Exit_status in server accounting files

Ole Holm Nielsen Ole.H.Nielsen at fysik.dtu.dk
Tue Jan 10 03:46:46 MST 2006

I'm working on the "pbsacct" accounting package for Torque/PBS
and would like to understand the meaning of the "Exit_status"
numbers in the server accounting files.  Unfortunately, I
haven't been able to find a list of exit status values in the
Torque source tree.  Going through some of our accounting files,
I find a number of jobs with non-zero "Exit_status" values
such as: 1, 126, 127, 139, 143, 265, 271.

Question: How do I assign a meaning to these "Exit_status" values
so that I can decide whether or not to flag a job termination as OK
(or just sort of OK) or as "failed" in the accounting output ?
It would also be nice to know if a job exited because of wall or
cpu time exceeded.

Thanks,
Ole

--
Ole Holm Nielsen
Department of Physics, Technical University of Denmark