[torqueusers] Moving from 32-bit to 64-bit builds of Torque ?

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Jan 9 19:41:40 MST 2006

On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 01:17:28PM +1100, Chris Samuel alleged:
> Hi folks,
>
> SuSE SLES 9 gcc on PPC64 creates 32-bit code by default, not 64-bit. :-(
>
> So as we're doing our shutdown today I thought I'd take the opportunity to
> backup /usr/spool/PBS and upgrade Torque to the current build and swap to a
> 64-bit version so I can build 64-bit versions of LAM, Moab, etc against it.
>
> Unfortunately, attempting to restart the server results in the following
> errors:
>
> PBS_Server: Cannot allocate memory (12) in recov_attr, calloc failed

recov_attr():
    pal = (svrattrl *)calloc(1,palsize);

    if (pal == NULL)
      {
      log_err(errno,id,"calloc failed");

      return(-1);
      }

Are you sure something else isn't wrong with that system?

> PBS_Server: Cannot allocate memory (12) in svr_recov, error on recovering server attr
> PBS_Server: pbsd_init, Unable to read server database
> PBS_Server: PBS_Server, pbsd_init failed
>
> This looks horribly to me like Torque is writing/reading attributes, etc,
> as binary structures and that it's killing the pbs_server.
>
> So, what's the supported way to move from 32-bit to 64-bit builds ?
>
> Is it sufficient to dump the server config of a 32-bit build with:
>
>   qmgr -c 'p s'
>
> or similar magic and then reimport it into a 64-bit build or is it
> something that just isn't possible with an existing queue of jobs ?

Off the top of my head, since sizeof(long int) differs, recovering any
of the job files isn't going to work.

University of Southern California