[torqueusers] Canonical list of best practice build flags ?

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at uni.de
Mon Jan 9 08:05:26 MST 2006

Hi,

> Currently I'm using the (probably rather short) list of:
>  ./configure  --with-scp '--set-cflags=-g -Wall -fPIC'

For the servers/nodes:

I usually add "--disable-filesync" to get more performance on submit-storms.

As CFLAGS I prefer "-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=i686 -ffast-math" which
gives an real performance boost when there are more than a couple of jobs
queued (actually, I also had close to 10.000 queued once) and the scheduler
has to sort them all out.
I don't use "-march=pentium4" as I still have some pIII/pIIs around that do
submitting.

I also add
--prefix=/usr/local/torque-2.0.0p4 --set-server-home=/usr/local/torque-home

to have different version installed in parallel in case the newest code has
some faults.

For the clients:

I usually have an older version installed with --prefix=/usr with only the
client commands as an RPM, for easy upgrading.
Interoperability is very good, had no problems and I only upgrade once in a
while.

Cheers,
Ronny