[torqueusers] submit job from MS Windows system?

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Thu Jan 5 17:20:26 MST 2006

On Tuesday 03 January 2006 10:20, Chris Samuel wrote:

> Wish I was as lucky with certain other commercial packages (yes, Matlab and
> Materials Studio, I'm looking at you)..

Good news - I can retract that about Matlab Distributed Computing Engine 2.0
as I've now discovered that their generic scheduler support doesn't need to
monitor the queue, you just need to provide a function that is capable of
creating the script and calling qsub.

It assumes a shared filesystem (as it's intended to be *very* generic) and
watches for log files, etc, being created in a pre-determined directory to
know when the job starts, when it finishes, etc.

Downside is that it a job can only either be queued, running or finished and
if the job is removed from the queue before it runs then Matlab will assume
that it's still queued until the heat death of the universe (or until the
user deletes it, whichever is sooner).

The downside is you need to program this support in Matlab.  I've suggested
that the Mathworks should consider PBS support and pointed them at Torque as
the way to do it. :-)

cheers,
Chris