[torqueusers] Cannot enforce nodes resource limitations

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Jan 4 12:39:49 MST 2006

On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 06:04:16PM +0100, Adrien Leygue alleged:
> Dear Torque users,
>
> I have compiled and installed Torque 2.0.0p2 on our cluster (Xeon, 2
> processors per nodes), and I am now in the process of configuring the
> server and the queues.
>
> I wish to have at least two execution queues: one for parallel jobs
> and another for sequential jobs (different maximum wall-time and
> cpu-time will be imposed on these queues). There is another route
> queue which is the default queue.
>
> I thought this could be done by configuring the nodes resources of the
> queues, but apparently I am missing something.

> set queue main resources_max.nodes = 1
> set queue main resources_min.nodes = 1

> set queue para resources_max.nodes = 4
> set queue para resources_min.nodes = 2
> set queue para enabled = True
> set queue para started = True

The "nodes" resource is a string, not an integer.  I'd have to double
check the source, but I'm pretty sure min/max for "nodes" is
meaningless.

Use "nodect" instead.  For example:

set queue default route_destinations = quick
set queue default route_destinations += medium
set queue default route_destinations += long
set queue default route_destinations += large_route

set queue quick resources_max.nodect = 4
set queue quick resources_max.walltime = 01:00:00

set queue medium resources_max.nodect = 99
set queue medium resources_max.walltime = 24:00:00

set queue long resources_max.nodect = 64
set queue long resources_max.walltime = 336:00:00
set queue long acl_user_enable = True
set queue long acl_users = ...

> max.nodes of 1, and apparently, the node_pack option has not been
> taken into account!

node_pack is only advisory to the scheduler, and is not recognized by
pbs_sched or maui.

University of Southern California