[torqueusers] Re: Thanks for your reply ----- need your futher help.

garrick garrick at usc.edu
Mon Jan 2 23:44:08 MST 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 11:15:45AM +0530, grid computing alleged:
> Dear garrick,
>
>    After adding an entry in the /builtutils/pbs_mach_type, then the
> installation of the tourque wnet through. but after installing the torque
> and when we are configuring the pbs_server using
>
> #./torque.setup root
>
> we are getting the following error meassages.
> initializing TORQUE (admin: root@)
> PBS_Server: pbsd_main, Unable to get my host name

torque.setup is a very simple script, take a look at it.

It does a 'hostname -f', which probably only works on GNU-based systems.
I bet just changing that to a simple 'hostname' will work.

> and i have some doubts.... do we need to configure DNS on the machine where
> we are configuring pbs_server.

Every machine in the cluster needs matching forward and reverse hostname
lookups.  A fully populated /etc/hosts will work fine if you don't want
to setup DNS.

> and at the same time could you please help us out in configuring compute
> nodes. and tell us how to installing torque compute nodes.

Please keep questions on the list, not personally to me.  There are also
lots of online docs.

University of Southern California