[torqueusers] Re: too many DNS requests

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at uni.de
Tue Feb 21 02:58:56 MST 2006

>  I would like to get one thing clear:
>
>   Is DNS strictly necessary for the clients (new and old version of
> pbs_server)? For the cases when all nodes are listed in /etc/hosts in all the
> nodes, wouldn't that be sufficient when looking up a hostname ? or is the
> hosts file skipped ?

If you're running recent unices you have something like /etc/nsswitch.conf.
The order specified for the key "hosts" is honoured if you are using
standard libc lookup functions.

I don't think torque is sending out direct queries. A quick grep -R confirms
this (multiple gethostname() and gethost*() calls).

So a hosts file should suffice. I use nscd.

Cheers,
Ronny