[torqueusers] Maui Preemption

pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com
Fri Feb 17 09:13:49 MST 2006

Douglas,
    Further investigation revealed a spelling error. The correct keyword
for preemption is  "PREEMPTPOLICY" not "PREEMPTIONPOLICY". I am now getting
job suspension. I have listed my setup below. The default behavior for
preemption is "REQUEUE". Also, I got the "PREEMPTIONPOLICY" value from an
older Maui manual that I had printed. The new Maui on-line documentation
shows the "PREEMPTPOLICY" keyword.
   One final note. The low priority job was suspended but the higher
priority job would not go into execution. Maui thought that the nodes for
the suspended job were "busy" not "idle". With no available nodes, the
higher priority job would not run. I need to find the correct Maui keyword
that allows sharing of nodes. Once I do that I suspect everything will
work.
    Thanks again,
     Pat

CREDWEIGHT             1
QOSWEIGHT                1
CLASSCFG[dque]           QDEF=normal
CLASSCFG[last]              QDEF=slow
PREEMPTPOLICY   SUSPEND
QOSCFG[normal]  QFLAGS=PREEMPTOR PRIORITY=1000
QOSCFG[slow]    QFLAGS=PREEMPTEE PRIORITY=100

J.W. (Pat) O'Bryant,Jr.
UTeC Systems, SWS
Office: 713-431-7022
Pager: 713-606-8338

             Pat
             O'Bryant/U-Hou
             ston/ExxonMobi                                             To
             l                        Wightman
                                      <wightman at clusterresources.com>
                                                                        cc
             02/17/06 08:40           torqueusers at supercluster.org
                                      Re: [torqueusers] Maui Preemption
                                      (Document link: Pat O'Bryant)

Douglas,
     This change definitely made a difference. The lower priority running
job was interrupted by the submission of the higher priority job. However,
the low priority job was placed back in a "Q" state. I was expecting both
would show "R" with the low priority being suspended. Maybe the suspension
can't occur because both jobs are "parallel"( I am using LAM). In any
event, I am making progress.
      Thanks for the advice,
       Pat

J.W. (Pat) O'Bryant,Jr.
UTeC Systems, SWS
Office: 713-431-7022
Pager: 713-606-8338

             Wightman
             <wightman at clus
             terresources.c                                             To
             om>                      pat.o'bryant at exxonmobil.com
                                                                        cc
                                      torqueusers at supercluster.org
             02/16/06 03:09                                        Subject
             PM                       Re: [torqueusers] Maui Preemption

Try adding the following to your maui.cfg:

CREDWEIGHT             1
QOSWEIGHT              1

The weights for the priorities need to be set up.  You can verify that
things have been setup correctly by doing a checkjob on the job and
examining its "start priority".  It should be higher for the jobs in the
"normal" QOS.

Hope that helps,

- Douglas