[torqueusers] installing Torque on a 64 bit AMD opteron server with 32 bit nodes

Michelangelo D'Agostino mdagost at berkeley.edu
Wed Feb 8 10:58:16 MST 2006

Hey everybody.  I'm new to all this and having some problems with my
setup.  I have a 64 bit AMD Opteron server with a bunch of 32 bit
nodes.  I'd like to have the pbs_server running on the 64 bit server
sending out jobs to the 32 bit nodes.  However, if I run the usual
configure, make, make install on the 64 bit system and then make the
self-extracting packages, they don't work on the 32 bit nodes because
they're the wrong architecture.

Is there a way to compile things in 32 bit mode on the 64 bit server?  I
tried modifying the makefiles by hand to use "gcc -m32" instead of
"gcc", but then I get linking errors.  Or maybe I'm doing something
completely wrong here?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Michelangelo