[torqueusers] Materials Studio and wallclock time

Steven A. DuChene linux-clusters at mindspring.com
Tue Feb 7 12:49:04 MST 2006

Discovered the hard way that Materials Studio has a default wall clock
time for jobs it is running through a queuing system. There is no way
for a user submiting a MS job to request a different wall clock time on
a per job basis according to the information supplied by the Accelrys
support folks. I requested that they make some change to their system
that WOULD allow a user coming in from their GUI to request different
values for wall clock time on a per job basis. As it is right now they are
teling me I have to bump up the value hard coded into one of their setup
scripts which will make every MS job run with an artificially large wall
clock time. ARGH!

Their response was that while they filed this as an enhancement request
that they don't actually implement enhancement requests like this unless
they see the need or similar request from a number of customers.

I find this sort of response frustrating but I thought I would pass it along
since I know there are other folks here using Materials Studio with clusters
managed with torque/maui/moab.