[torqueusers] new build system ready!

Troy Baer troy at osc.edu
Fri Feb 3 11:23:56 MST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 11:35 -0500, Bisbal, Prentice wrote:
> Do the config files go in /etc/ now, or are they still in the spool
> directory?

I'd really like to make sure that is configurable, preferably with the
historical behavior (config files in spool dir) as the default.  I'm
having a hard time wrapping my brain around how you would draw the line
between "config file" and "spool file", particularly for the DB files
used by the pbs_server daemon.  The number of files that qualify as
"config files" in my book is pretty small:

# pbs_mom
$PBS_HOME/pbs_environment
$PBS_HOME/mom_priv/config

# pbs_server
$PBS_HOME/server_priv/nodes
$PBS_HOME/torque.conf

# general
$PBS_HOME/server_name (Does torque.conf obviate the need for this on
compute nodes and submit hosts?)

(Note that I use Moab and haven't looked at pbs_sched in years, so I
have no idea what config files it requires.)

Not all of these need to live on every host either, and I'd like to make
sure that how ever this is implemented, it a) doesn't break historical
practice too badly and b) doesn't unintentionally make life more
difficult for people with shared root file systems*.

* Spoken as someone who has upward of a thousand nodes using NFS-root
file systems.

	--Troy
Troy Baer                       troy at osc.edu
Science & Technology Support    http://www.osc.edu/hpc/
Ohio Supercomputer Center       614-292-9701