[torqueusers] suggestions on cluster accounting/reporting packages?

Andrew J Caird acaird at umich.edu
Thu Feb 2 12:54:16 MST 2006

Steven,

I really like Gold for this.  Check out
http://www.emsl.pnl.gov/docs/mscf/gold/

It does a lot more than accounting, but I ignore most of that for now and
just do accounting with it; it uses a database, and I've written my own
queries to it.

For example, I extended the Gold database (it's very extensible) to hold
Department and Principal Investigator information so I can amalgamate
usage based on those things with some simple SQL.  It natively captures
cluster name and user name, so between those 4 things, I can produce
pretty much all of the reports I need.

Gold has some reporting, but I've written most of my reports to interact
directly with the database.

Also, if you ignore some of the Gold structure (at your own risk, of
course), you can load data from PBS/Torque logs into it - let me know if
you want the script I use to do this.  There's probably a right way to do
this, but my crufty way seems to work OK for me.

It was written by Scott Jackson who is (I believe) at CRI now with his
brothers, so the level of integration is, well, pretty good. :)

--andy