[torqueusers] acl_hosts oddity

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com
Wed Feb 1 09:05:41 MST 2006

Thanks for the info.  I'll submit the bug later today.

I actually had no idea that  acl_hosts had any effect if acl_hosts_enable
is set to false, is that behavior documented somewhere?  The
pbs_server_attributes man page seems to suggest that acl_hosts is only
used if acl_hosts_enable is set to true, though a re-reading shows that it
is not explicit about that.

I started messing with acl_hosts because we have two classes of clients of
our cluster,

1) submission hosts - we don't encourage local submission of jobs and
instead have several other servers that we have designated as submission
hosts.  We also do this as we have some web services that use the cluster,
so we run these services on submission host servers.

2) client (for the lack of a better name)  hosts - we also want to specify
a number of machines that have only client (status, etc) access to the
cluster.

My understanding was that both submission hosts and client hosts would
need to be in the acl_hosts list, while submission hosts would also need
to be identified as submission hosts.  After playing around, I'm not sure
if that's true or not.  Does providing a machine in the acl_hosts list
allow job submission from that host?

On the wildcard point, should nate*.gsk.com work (or
node*-hivemind.gsk.com)?  It does not appear to.  If it should, I'll play
around a bit more as I probably got something wrong.

Thanks for the help,
Nate

"Steven A. DuChene" <linux-clusters at mindspring.com>
Sent by: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org
31-Jan-2006 21:10
Please respond to "Steven A. DuChene" <linux-clusters at mindspring.com>

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com, torqueusers at supercluster.org
cc

Subject
Re: [torqueusers] acl_hosts oddity

Can you explain what exactly you are trying to accomplish with the
acl_hosts
settings? There are two ways to use this that are distinctly different
depending
on what you set acl_hosts_enable to (true or false). I.E. it is possible
to use the functionality of acl_hosts system lists for a different
function
if acl_hosts_enable is set to false.