[torqueusers] Multihomed server question

Garrick Staples garrick at clusterresources.com
Tue Dec 19 19:45:11 MST 2006

On Tue, Dec 19, 2006 at 05:27:48PM -0500, David Chin alleged:
> I'm a bit confused by the multihomed server setup.
>
> My config is, I think, fairly typical. One head node with
> two ethernet interfaces (eth0, eth1). 18 compute nodes
> with single interfaces.
>
> The head node is named jvneumann on eth0, and
> master on eth1. eth0 is the "outside world" connection.
> eth1 is connected to the switch where all the compute
> nodes are connected.
>
> So, I compiled torque 2.2.0-snap.200612151700 specifying
>
>    --with-default-server=master.mydomain.edu
>
> I also put "master.mydomain.edu" in /var/spool/torque/server_name.

That's good.

> And, in /var/spool/torque/torque.cfg, as per the doco, I put:
>
>    SERVERHOST master.mydomain.edu

Which doc says to do that?  It needs to be updated.  As of 2.1.0,
pbs_server no longer reads torque.cfg.  Instead set the server_name
server attribute in qmgr.

> Which raises another question I have: the priority setting
> for queues. What does it mean? If, say, I have two queues,
> one with priority n1, and another with priority n2, and
> n1 > n2. Which queue's jobs are more likely to be run first?
> I'm just using pbs_sched. I intend to run maui once I figure
> out the nitpicky stuff with torque.

Higher prio number wins.  Note that maui doesn't support this, but does
support specifying priorities in maui.cfg.