[torqueusers] Max Connections

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com
Thu Dec 7 09:11:32 MST 2006

On a follow up question here, I've had issues in the past with trying to
increase the Max Connections setting (or even at 4 for that matter).  As
the number of connections go up, I'll often get failures on calls,
typically with some sort of a gripe from pbs_iff (allegedly, I will get a
stdout print statement from pbs_iff).  This is always associated with a
threaded situation where a number of calls are attempted simultaneously.
I've always had to synchronize my calls into the API.  My understanding
has always been that this stems from some sort of a race condition
associated with setting the server_name property.  It also means I end up
wrapping any API calls with a fair amount of defensive coding (for
instance, have a c++ wrapper around the API that handles making the
connections for me and insuring that a valid connection is retrieved and
being very patient with waiting for it).  Have other people experienced
this and is the solution for libtorque to not try and retain the current
server_name, or have I totally missed the mark here?

Thanks,
Nate

"Nate Coraor" <nate at psu.edu>
Sent by: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org
07-Dec-2006 10:30

torqueusers at supercluster.org
cc

Subject
Re: [torqueusers] Max Connections

On Dec 4, 2006, at 3:52 PM, Garrick Staples wrote:

> It looks like the '#define NCONNECTS 5' in src/include/libpbs.h.
> You'll
> need to build and install, at least, a new libtorque.so.

This was indeed it.  Thanks Garrick.

--nate