[torqueusers] Re: Epilogue script

Ronny T. Lampert telecaadmin at uni.de
Tue Aug 29 11:38:35 MDT 2006

> Thus torque should be independent of the mpiexec implementation and
> if there is a way to improve torque's behaviour with respect to
> cleaning up after MPI jobs along the lines Dave indicated this would
> be a huge benefit. The sites that do not want to use that feature
> do not have to.

Well - isn't that what "process groups" were initially thought up for?
If pbs_mom starts a new process group for every job it should be safe to
terminate any childs in that group (as long as no one calls setsid() which
will start a new process group for the child).

Looking at getpgrp(2) and setsid(2) - or am I missing something?

The SGi-proposed solution looks nice, but I dislike such a "basic" feature
being dependant on some special kernel module.

As I am not entirely sure about PAM - is there any possibility to start
something like a "hard PAM session group" where no process can escape?
That looks like the perfect solution.

Cheers,
Ronny