[torqueusers] Dependencies among several jobs

Vincenzo Di Nicola vdinicol at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 25 16:44:44 MDT 2006

Dear Torque users,

I have recently started to use Torque/Maui, but I have some doubts about job
dependencies I hope you can clarify. It looks to me that the way to enforce
them is by using "-W depend=beforeany:jobid" (or similar) in the qsub
command or in the #PBS directive. But how can I know beforehand the job id
of something that hasn't been submitted yet?

I would like to submit at once, say, 30 jobs with dependencies between each
other. The only solution I have thought so far is to avoid "before"
dependencies and create a script file: there I submit each single job, read
its jobid, and use the "-W depend=afterany" option with regard to the
previous job ids.
But is there a nicer way to enforce dependencies, maybe without having to
rely on a jobid (but perhaps a job name)?

Thank you in advance,
Vincenzo Di Nicola