[torqueusers] Submitting a graphical job to Torque in batch mode

Prakash Velayutham velayups at email.uc.edu
Thu Apr 27 13:33:30 MDT 2006

David Golden wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Xvfb solution worked perfectly. Thanks. I have a question, though.
>> According to the users, this same scilab thing was working fine before.
>> Then I performed a complete OS upgrade from SuSE Pro 9.0 to 9.3 in
>> October, 2005. I modified /etc/inittab to set the default init level to
>> 3. Would any of these affect how scilab works in batch mode. It did not
>> require a DISPLAY environment before, but started complaining about it
>> recently.
>>

> Not really a SuSE or a scilab user, I'm afraid.  Changing the
> init level to 3 probably on worker nodes probably turned off a
> local X server, of course,  but it seems pretty unlikely it
> would have been usable by batch processes unless the X server
> had also been configured to allow it (out of box on modern linux
> distros, the [kxg]dm-managed X11 server typically wouldn't allow
> unauthorised connections from clients, to the best of my knowledge),
> and even then the batch job would have to happen to have a
> correct DISPLAY env var, assuming scilab needs a valid display.
>
> Was scilab itself upgraded? (I have no idea if it's "in SuSE" -
> all I know is that it's non-free): could just be a bug in scilab,
> failingto do whatever it's supposed to do when given -nwni, assuming
> what it's supposed to do when given -nwni includes not even
> trying to use any X display.
Hi David,

I'm back and so is the issue with scilab. Acutally, before I implemented
the Xvfb method that you mentioned, I was not able to generate the
output GIF file in batch mode even with interactive qsub (qsub -I). But
with Xvfb, interactive generation is working. But the normal qsub
(without -I) still does not work. What would the issue be? Using -V flag
or not does not make any difference at all now. Error file is just empty
and the output GIF file is of 0 size.

TIA,
Prakash