[torqueusers] Submitting a graphical job to Torque in batch mode

Prakash Velayutham velayups at email.uc.edu
Thu Apr 27 08:00:06 MDT 2006

David Golden wrote:
> On 2006-04-26 10:08:28 -0400, Prakash Velayutham wrote:
>

>> I am sending this question to scilab list also, but if someone here has
>> a similar setup working, I could get some pointers here.
>>
> Well, there's a program (included in most linux distros)
> called Xvfb that can be a "headless" software virtual X11 framebuffer,
> possible  solution if you don't actually care about the GUI
> but have an application that insists on having a fully viable
> X11 display, or perhaps if you want to batch-job-run a rendering
> application that insists on rendering to an X window.

Hi David,

Xvfb solution worked perfectly. Thanks. I have a question, though.
According to the users, this same scilab thing was working fine before.
Then I performed a complete OS upgrade from SuSE Pro 9.0 to 9.3 in
October, 2005. I modified /etc/inittab to set the default init level to
3. Would any of these affect how scilab works in batch mode. It did not
require a DISPLAY environment before, but started complaining about it
recently. I am trying to find out the exact time when it stopped
working, but because this particular application is not used frequently,
I may not get to know the exact time of failure.

Thanks,
Prakash