[torqueusers] Submitting a graphical job to Torque in batch mode

Prakash Velayutham velayups at email.uc.edu
Wed Apr 26 14:36:21 MDT 2006

Mike Renfro wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:08:28AM -0400, Prakash Velayutham wrote:
>

>> loginnode> qsub -I -V -lnodes=alanine -qusers
>>
>> prakash at alanine:/tmp> scilab -nwni -nb -f
>> /usr/local/software/scripts/sift/scilab_plot.sci
>> /usr/local/bin/scilab: line 27:
>> /usr/local/encap/scilab-4.0/lib/scilab-4.0/pvm3/lib/pvmgetarch: No such
>> file or directory
>> Error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0
>>
>> Please note that the option -nwni means "start Scilab without user
>> interaction (batch mode)", -nb means "do not display the Scilab banner
>> at starting time" and -f means "execute the scilab script given in File
>> argument"
>>
> http://biobos.nih.gov/apps/scilab.html indicates that it should work,
> but the -V flag to qsub might be throwing it off. Their examples also
> show only the Scilab -nw flag on their batch runs, but that may be
> irrelevant. Here's what I think might be happening:
>
> - You pass the -V flag to qsub, so that your remote job gets all the
>   local environment variables, including DISPLAY (set to
>   localhost:11.0 from an ssh session?).
>
> - scilab on the remote end sees a DISPLAY variable, and assumes it can
>   do a GUI startup, or at least tweak some function that only works
>   under X.
>
> - scilab tries to contact an X server, but fails.
>
> So dump the -V flag for qsub and see if that fixes it? The NIH pages
> above do show how to run Scilab graphically through the queueing
> system, but I'll bet that doesn't tunnel X inside SSH, and wouldn't be
> what you want.
I checked that page too. But without the -v flag this is what I get.

prakash at alanine:/tmp> scilab -nw -f
/usr/local/software/scripts/sift/scilab_plot.sci
                         scilab-4.0

                  Copyright (c) 1989-2006
              Consortium Scilab (INRIA, ENPC)

Startup execution:
Error: Can't open display:

prakash at alanine:/tmp> scilab -nwni -nb -f
/usr/local/software/scripts/sift/scilab_plot.sci
Error: Can't open display:

prakash at alanine:/tmp>

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,