[torqueusers] Submitting a graphical job to Torque in batch mode

Mike Renfro renfro at tntech.edu
Wed Apr 26 11:57:22 MDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 26, 2006 at 10:08:28AM -0400, Prakash Velayutham wrote:

> loginnode> qsub -I -V -lnodes=alanine -qusers
>
> prakash at alanine:/tmp> scilab -nwni -nb -f
> /usr/local/software/scripts/sift/scilab_plot.sci
> /usr/local/bin/scilab: line 27:
> /usr/local/encap/scilab-4.0/lib/scilab-4.0/pvm3/lib/pvmgetarch: No such
> file or directory
> Error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0
>
> Please note that the option -nwni means "start Scilab without user
> interaction (batch mode)", -nb means "do not display the Scilab banner
> at starting time" and -f means "execute the scilab script given in File
> argument"

http://biobos.nih.gov/apps/scilab.html indicates that it should work,
but the -V flag to qsub might be throwing it off. Their examples also
show only the Scilab -nw flag on their batch runs, but that may be
irrelevant. Here's what I think might be happening:

- You pass the -V flag to qsub, so that your remote job gets all the
  local environment variables, including DISPLAY (set to
  localhost:11.0 from an ssh session?).

- scilab on the remote end sees a DISPLAY variable, and assumes it can
  do a GUI startup, or at least tweak some function that only works
  under X.

- scilab tries to contact an X server, but fails.

So dump the -V flag for qsub and see if that fixes it? The NIH pages
above do show how to run Scilab graphically through the queueing
system, but I'll bet that doesn't tunnel X inside SSH, and wouldn't be
what you want.

--
Mike Renfro  / R&D Engineer, Center for Manufacturing Research,
931 372-3601 / Tennessee Technological University -- renfro at tntech.edu