[torqueusers] Node Configuration

nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com nathaniel.x.woody at gsk.com
Tue Apr 11 09:09:51 MDT 2006

I actually agree on the lack of availability of the ERS document, that
seems like something that someone ought to host.

If you google for "PBS External reference", you will find a couple of
places where you can download it, but I don't know what the official
source for this ought to be.  It seems like you should be able to get it
along with PBS admin manual on the Torque site.

You probably already found these, but the _attributes man pages have been
the best source of information for me (pbs_job_attributes,
pbs_server_atrributes, etc).  I stumbled across those as they don't seem
to be mentioned in the Torque documentation anywhere either.

On a more general note, who is responsible for the Torque manual?  I along
with Eric would be willing to try to contribute some documentation wordage
as I've had to figure out a number of things that don't seem to be in the
documentation.  Is there a person or group of people that we should feed
that type of contribution to?

Best,
Nate

"ERIC M REISCHER" <emr150 at psu.edu>
Sent by: torqueusers-bounces at supercluster.org
11-Apr-2006 10:33

torqueusers at supercluster.org
cc

Subject
Re: [torqueusers] Node Configuration

>> things, but each time I submit 3 jobs to the queue, all 3 of them go >>
the first node in my grid.

> Most likely it is the old:
>
> #> set server default_node = 1
>
> missing. Set this via qmgr.
>
> You may also set
>
> #> set server resources_available.nodect = 12
>
> and restart the pbs_server afterwards.

Is there a concise list somewhere of available options to the
resources_available command, or more generally, arguments you can pass to
the
set server command (I read the admin guide cover to cover, and it only
seems to
list commands here and there.  It frequently references the "ERS", but I
haven't been able to find this document anywhere.

>> Also, a sortof related question, what effect, if any, does the np=X >>
node
attribute have on scheduling?

> This only says: this node may get X jobs because it has X processors.
> You really should take a look into the torque admin manual  :)

Again, I did, but wasn't able to find much.  IIRC, the only place I came
across
the np= option was on a manpage, I think, and it was only in an example
without
any real desription.

On that note, if you need assistance with the documentation, I might be
able to
help write manpages and the like.  Of course, I'd need to learn more about
torque to avoid a sort of "blind leading the blind" type situation, but I
can
at least help to condense the documentation into a set of concise manpages
and
quick reference guides.

Cheers,
Eric