[torqueusers] Routing jobs to virtual nodes

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Wed Apr 5 10:07:54 MDT 2006

On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 02:29:50PM +0200, Haavard Bjerke alleged:
> I have the following cluster setup.
>
> Server node:
> hostA
>
> Client nodes:
> hostB-1 slc3
> hostB-2 slc4
> hostC-1 slc3
> hostC-2 scl4
>
> I can route jobs that I want to execute on an slc3 machine with a parameter:
>
> echo "hello_world" | qsub -l nodes=1:slc3
>
> And all jobs that I want to execute are serial and use one node only.
>
> However, hostB-1 and B-2 are two virtual machines on the same real
> machine, hostB, as are hostC-1 and C-2 of hostC. Therefore, I want jobs
> to be routed to hostB-1 only if hostB-2 is not currently executing a job
> and hostC-1 otherwise, ie. jobs should be routed to the real machine
> with the most available resources.
>
> Does anyone know if this is possible using torque? Perhaps using one
> queue per real machine?
>
> If not, any ideas on how to implement this?

It would be up to the scheduler.  You might need to modify an allocation
algo in maui or something.  Moab can hook into scripts that supply info
like this.  Try re-ordering the nodes in your server's nodes file?

University of Southern California