[torqueusers] qsub: Bad UID for job execution

Doug Renfrew renfrew at email.unc.edu
Tue Apr 4 11:43:16 MDT 2006

So I thought that using the

ALLOWCOMPUTEHOSTSUBMIT true

in my torque.cfg file meant that I did not have to have a hosts.equiv
or even have any of the 'r' tools or services (rlogin, rlogind, rcp,
etc.) installed or running. Is this incorrect? Do I need to have
rlogind running on the server? Will just having a hosts.equiv file
with the nodes in it work without turning on rlogind?

Doug

On 3/31/06, Torsten Rohlfing <rohlfing at ieee.org> wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I guess I have to ask about this myself now, because I have had the same
> problem (I should say symptom) with one of my machines for a long time,
> and none of the proposed solutions works for me.
>
> Here's what I have: 12 machines in the cluster, 1 of them server running
> torque-2.0.0p7 (problem has persisted since 1.2.something) and the other
> 11 compute nodes. All machines are using the same NIS server. All
> compute nodes are in the server's /etc/hosts.equiv. The server is in all
> nodes' hosts.equiv, just for good measure. I just set the
> ALLOWCOMPUTEHOSTSUBMIT flag in torque.cfg also, since I wasn't aware of
> that one before (yes, I restarted the pbs_server process).
>
> Now here's the funny thing - all my compute nodes (and the server, which
> is also a compute node) can submit jobs EXCEPT one of the compute nodes.
> The only difference I can remotely think of between that compute node
> and all the others is that this one used to be the server in a torque
> test installation before I got the actual server. Yet, I have checked
> all config files many times, and the all compute nodes have essentially
> (except for number of CPUs, max loads, etc) the same configs, including
> the one that cannot submit jobs.
>
> So I have to ask - is there any not-so-well-know and straight forward
> cause of this problem? Or is there a more fundamental solution - like
> tell the server to allow submission from anywhere? All my machines are
> on a private network, so I really don't care much about restricting
> submissions.
>
> Thanks for your help!
>   Torsten
> > On Thu, Mar 30, 2006 at 05:29:57PM -0500 or thereabouts, Doug Renfrew wrote:
> > >/ Hi Gang,
> > />/
> > />/ I am having trouble setting things up so that users can submit jobs
> > />/ from the compute hosts. I have a pretty simple setup. Machine 1 is
> > />/ acting as the PBS server, the NFS server, and the NIS server. Machine
> > />/ 2-16 are acting as PBS clients, NFS clients, and NIS clients. In the
> > />/ torque.cfg file on the PBS server I have set ALLOWCOMPUTEHOSTSUBMIT
> > />/ true. Users can log in to any of the machines and use qstat, qmgr,
> > />/ pbsnodes, etc but qsub fails with the error below.
> > />/
> > />/ qsub: Bad UID for job execution
> > /
> >
> > Hi Doug,
> >
> >  A well known I am sure you are pleased to here.
> >
> >  Add you pbs clients as /etc/hosts.equiv on your pbs_server
> >  host or use the newer
> >
> >  ALLOWCOMPUTEHOSTSUBMIT
> >
> >  as defined here.
> >
> >  http://www.clusterresources.com/products/torque/docs20/a.ktorquecfg.shtml
> > >/
> > />/ Users can submit jobs from machine 1 but not from machines 2-16. Since
> > />/ we are using NIS the user ids are the same no matter which machine the
> [...]

cell: (919)618-0700