[torqueusers] downing a node via qmgr

Chris Samuel csamuel at vpac.org
Sun Sep 25 19:42:14 MDT 2005

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 06:03 am, Garrick Staples wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 09:11:09AM +1000, Chris Samuel alleged:
>
> > If you've rebooted the node yourself then you should restart it by hand
> > whereas if the node dies and reboots you're probably going to want to
> > investigate.  We do this, and only restart the mom when we've got a
> > better handle on things and think it safe to do so.
>
> Really?  That's what you guys do on your cluster?  That sounds like a
> major hastle.

I suspect our clusters aren't as large as yours! :-)  We've got one with 90
dual P4 Xeon compute nodes, one we run for a University with 60 dual P4 Xeon
compute nodes, one with 36 quad Power 5 compute nodes and one with 16 dual
Opteron compute nodes.

We reckon that not losing jobs that run on broken nodes far outweighs the
hassle of occasionally restarting pbs on a node.

cheers,
Chris