[torqueusers] several questions

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Tue Sep 20 12:44:24 MDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 16, 2005 at 01:33:58PM -0600, Doug Smith alleged:

> Hello I am new to the Torque world and have a few questions:
>
> 1. Is there a definitive Torque reference that outlines all the resource
> attributes for queue configuration? The main one I have been using is
> clusterresource but the documentation on configuring queues seems to be
> a bit thin.

The 'pbs_queue_attributes' manpage should be definitive.

> 2. I have noticed a problem on our cluster where qdel removes the job
> from the queue but leaves processes running on the individual nodes. Are
> others having this issue? shouldn't qdel be killing cancelled jobs off
> of the nodes?

Only the "top level" process in the job is signalled to be killed.
You'll probably need an epilogue script to clean up the jobs.

> 3. Jobs submitted to a queue with defined with a resource_max.cput limit
> aren't getting killed by the schedular after their time expires why? Is
> there something else that needs to be set inconjunction with this setting?

Which scheduler?  maui/moab should definitely handle this.  I'm not sure
about pbs_sched.

University of Southern California