[torqueusers] Exclusive Nodes

Michael Barnes mbarnes at compsci.wm.edu
Thu Sep 15 08:43:56 MDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 08:30:09AM -0500, Clifton Kirby wrote:
> On page 4 of the PBS administrators guide there is mention of
> "Exclusive Nodes".  How would you define them in the server nodes
> file?  I have a situation where my user only wants one CPU from a
> dual CPU system but wants exclusive access to the system to avoid a
> second job running on the system since one CPU is still available from
> PBS.  The PBS directive is "nodes=2:ppn=1" and he does not want two
> processes on the machine as in "nodes=2:ppn=2".  Is there a mechanism
> for qsub or a PBS directive to allow for what he is doing or can I
> simply define the nodes as "Exclusive"?

If you use the Maui scheduler, you can create a user reservation on a
set of nodes and the user can use those nodes as he/she sees fit.

Another thing I tell my users such as the case where they need more node
resources like over 1/2 of the memory or disk is to simply use ppn=2 and
just use one processor when the job runs.  That will keep other jobs off
of the node.

Mike

--
| Michael Barnes <mbarnes at compsci.wm.edu> |