[torqueusers] Server not talking to MOMs at all

Lennart Karlsson Lennart.Karlsson at nsc.liu.se
Tue Sep 13 06:47:49 MDT 2005

Garrick,

On the same issue, Dave Jackson wrote:
>  We are unaware of other crashes anywhere on any system.  I would be
> very interested in determining what is unique about your policies,
> environment, workload, or resources.  If you are running anything more
> recent than patch 5, please catch these failures under gdb 'where' or
> with valgrind.  We will get them fixed immediately.

We did run version torque_1.2.0p4, so I assume that you are not interested
in valgrind output from that?

Now we changed to version 1.2.0p6 and we will try to catch the problem
with valgrind if and when it comes back.

Our environment on the mentioned system? We have two PBS queues, one for
normal, high-priority jobs that shall run to completion within a user-defined
wallclock limit, and one for low-priority jobs that may be preempted
(PREEMPTIONPOLICY REQUEUE in Maui, now version maui-3.2.6p14-snap.1125680408)
anytime their nodes are needed by normal jobs.

This is a 74 node plus one master node ("head node"?) Linux cluster for one
research department. The strategy is that each user "always" (with some
over-booking of resources, though) has quick access to a few compute nodes
as a handy compute resource when need arises. Resources not used can be
filled with low-priority jobs in an opportunistic fashion. Bigger compute
demands are  fulfilled on other clusters.

NFS workload can be pretty high (no, not extremely high) on the master node,
that also runs Maui and Torque, and when also the weekly full backup runs
we have a load average of between  eight and ten. Typically 100-650 jobs a
day are qsub:ed and the number of requeued jobs varies widely from none
(weekends, vacation period) to more than several thousands a day. I think
that the problems appear when we have a lot of requeues.

Maui configuration, in short:
SERVERHOST              green
SERVERPORT              42559
SERVERMODE              NORMAL
RMCFG[base]             TYPE=PBS
RMCFG[base]             TIMEOUT=90
AMCFG[base]             TYPE=NONE
RMPOLLINTERVAL          00:02:00
RESDEPTH                120
DEFERTIME               0:30:00
DEFERCOUNT              5000
QUEUETIMEWEIGHT         0
XFACTORWEIGHT           1
QOSWEIGHT               1

BACKFILLPOLICY          BESTFIT
RESERVATIONPOLICY       CURRENTHIGHEST
RESERVATIONDEPTH        300
RESERVATIONRETRYTIME    0:10:00
JOBPRIOACCRUALPOLICY    FULLPOLICY
NODEALLOCATIONPOLICY    MINRESOURCE
JOBNODEMATCHPOLICY      EXACTNODE
JOBMAXSTARTTIME         0:10:00
JOBMAXOVERRUN           0:05:00
NODEACCESSPOLICY        SINGLEJOB

SRCFG[interakt] STARTTIME=2:00:00 ENDTIME=23:59:59
SRCFG[interakt] PERIOD=DAY DAYS=MON,TUE,WED,THU,FRI DEPTH=7
SRCFG[interakt] TASKCOUNT=4
SRCFG[interakt] TIMELIMIT=6:00:05
SRCFG[interakt] CLASSLIST=riskjobb

PREEMPTIONPOLICY        REQUEUE
CLASSCFG[riskjobb]      QDEF=Risk
CLASSCFG[workq]         QDEF=Normal
SYSCFG                  PLIST=DEFAULT QDEF=Disable
QOSCFG[Disable]         OMAXPS=1
QOSCFG[Risk]            PRIORITY=1 XFWEIGHT=1 QTWEIGHT=1
QFLAGS=PREEMPTEE,IGNALL OMAXIJOB=2
QOSCFG[Normal]          PRIORITY=100000 XFWEIGHT=1000 QFLAGS=PREEMPTOR
QOSCFG[High]            PRIORITY=10000000 XFWEIGHT=1000 QFLAGS=PREEMPTOR
USERCFG[DEFAULT]        MAXPS=5184000

GROUPCFG[nsc]           MAXIJOB=10 MAXPROC=36
USERCFG[anders]         MAXIJOB=10 MAXPROC=8 MAXPS=5184000
USERCFG[svetlana        MAXIJOB=10 MAXPROC=8 MAXPS=5184000
# and so on with the other users

PBS server and mom configurations:
create queue workq
set queue workq queue_type = Execution
set queue workq enabled = True
set queue workq started = True
create queue riskjobb
set queue riskjobb queue_type = Execution
set queue riskjobb enabled = True
set queue riskjobb started = True
set server scheduling = True
set server default_queue = workq
set server log_events = 255
set server mail_from = adm
set server query_other_jobs = True
set server resources_default.walltime = 00:00:01
set server scheduler_iteration = 600
set server node_ping_rate = 300
set server node_check_rate = 600
set server tcp_timeout = 6
set server job_stat_rate = 30
$logevent 127
$prologalarm 120
$clienthost pbsserver
$usecp *:/home /home

We run prologue, to remove temporary files, and epilogue to remove processes.

Best regards,
   http://www.nsc.liu.se