[torqueusers] FYI: Patch6 compiler warnings

Garrick Staples garrick at usc.edu
Mon Sep 12 12:01:26 MDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 09:47:20AM -0700, Rick.Ingham at expeditors.com alleged:

> It may not be important, butI noticed these compiler warnings.  Personally,
> I like to try to remove compiler warnings with more kosher coding, even if
> the code techically is not incorrect.

For real fun compile with '-Wall' (add '-Wno-unused' for sanity)!

It's been a long term project of mine to fix all the warnings.  I've
already fixed up hundreds of the them.

> ld: warning: symbol `connection' has differing sizes:
>         (file svr_connect.o value=0x5000; file
> ../lib/Libpbs/libpbs.a(PBS_data.o) value=0x64);
>         svr_connect.o definition taken
>
> gcc -g -I../../src/include -I../../src/include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -o pbs_sched
> pbs_sched.o get_4byte.o ../../src/scheduler.cc/samples/f
> ifo/pbs_sched.a ../lib/Libnet/libnet.a ../lib/Liblog/liblog.a
> ../lib/Libpbs/libpbs.a -ldl -lkvm -lelf -lsocket -lnsl
> ld: warning: symbol `connection' has differing sizes:
>         (file pbs_sched.o value=0x5000; file
> ../lib/Libpbs/libpbs.a(PBS_data.o) value=0x64);
>         pbs_sched.o definition taken
>
> This is not causing any problem that I know of, but if it is easily
> corrected to avoid compiler warnings, that would be nice.  In my
> experience, compiler warnings usually indicate a deaper problem, so I try
> to avoid ignoring them, and try to avoid generating them.

I've known about this for a long time, but now that someone else has
reported it, I'll look at it again.

University of Southern California